Monday, April 20, 2009

A wise in"vest"ment

I happen to love vests. Whether it's a menswear style that is office-appropriate, or a light, summery version perfect for a sundress or jeans, a vest is a great way to add some dimension to your outfit.

I am a sucker for racerback vests. I think they're a fun amalgamation of class and sass. I particularly like menswear-style vests with this type of back, because the racerback really feminizes the shape. For the office, I would pair this type of vest with a nice white shirt and a pair of wide-leg trousers with some killer pumps. For the weekend, I love the idea of wearing it open under a graphic tee with some funky jeans and boots.

I am also loving what I call a "summer vest," which is basically an open vest (which in some cases may have a tie closure) that is of a modal or jersey fabric. This is meant to be worn with a summery dress or over a tee/tank to create a fun depth to an otherwise simple outfit. I would wear a vest like this over a little cap-sleeved tee, with a pair of lighter-wash jeans and some sandals. I'd add some bangles and some large earrings to accessorize. Or, I'd find a fun, floral sundress and wear the vest over that, pairing it with a nice pair of vintage-looking boots or sandals.

Below are a few of my current favorites:

Racerback

Linen Fashion Vest ($17.80)/H81 Linen & Crochet Vest ($19.50)

Halter
(which I think follows many of the same rules as the Racerback)

BDG Halter Vest ($48.00)

"Summer"

Tag-Along Vest ($78.00)/Unifying Theme Vest ($78.00)

The great thing about vests is that the possibilities are endless. You can find great styles in pretty much every price point. So have fun, and start in"vest"ing!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...